Monday, February 22, 2010

Cowtown Training: Less Than One Week to Go!


I started training for the Cowtown marathon back in November. My Half and Full marathons have been really good (and really hard! (and really fun!)) trainings. I don't really know what to expect from myself this Saturday since I just ran the Austin marathon. One thing I do know...I'm going to have fun with it! And I'm really excited because my mom is coming to watch the race!

My friend, Natalie, signed up to run this race with me but had to pull out because of an injury and illness. Now she's running the National marathon in Washington D.C. in a month. Yay!

I have instructed Lisa to read this quote to me if I call her on Saturday between 7:30 and 12:30 (when I'm running the marathon). :)


"It is the illusion that we can go no faster that holds us back."


I think it might help me if I'm feeling like I just want to lay down on the pavement and hope that the other runners roll me through the finish line.

Lisa is crazy just like me and is also running a race this Saturday...just two weeks after running a marathon. She's smart though and is "ONLY" doing a Half marathon (right, as if that's going to be easy!). Go Lisa!

Also a shout out to Mubeen who is running her first ever 5k at Cowtown on Saturday! You can do it! I'm so proud of you!

My training last week was kind of weird because I didn't really know what to do. Normally you take it pretty easy the week after a marathon. But when you have another marathon coming up you still need to get training in. So this is what was on my schedule vs. what I actually did:

Weekly Goal:

Monday: 3 miles at 11:41 min/mile

Wednesday: 5 miles with 3 miles at 10:05 min/mile

Thursday: 2 miles at 11:41 min/mile

Saturday: 8 miles at 11:41 min/mile

Outcome:

Wednesday: 5 miles at 10:05 min/mile (3 of the 5 were my tempo at 9:19 min/mile). I was feeling really good and still on my runner's high from the marathon. I ran with Sheri and she was in a speedy mood too! My coach (aka Lisa) was happy with my successful run but warned me that I shouldn't have worked so hard right after running a marathon...and risked injury right before another marathon. Okayyyyyy, now I know better for next time.

Saturday: 8 miles at 11:02 min/mile. My calves were really tight and I ended up walking a few times trying to keep everything loose.

On the agenda for this week: drink lots of water, eat lots of carbs, stretch a lot, take it super easy on my runs, get plenty of sleep...then work hard and have fun on Saturday!

8 comments:

  1. you are amazing my friend! seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GooooooooooooOOOOO Melanie!!! :o) That's soo awesome! But yes, be careful! Don't want you to get injured!!

    You're so sweet for my "shot out!" Whoot!

    5 days! EEK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go, Melanie! I can't wait for Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melanie, you're pretty much invincible these days, so you can go as fast as you want!! :)

    I'm jealous that Mom gets to watch you at this one. Take lots of pictures, Mom!!

    You're going to do great--enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck Melanie! You continue to inspire me. And super well done on that Austin Marathon. Your report brought me to tears . . . again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just talked to you on the phone! Congrats on your finish and another awesome marathon!!!

    ReplyDelete