Thursday, February 11, 2010

Thoughts from the shots pro...

Zoe fell asleep in the car the other day with her hat pulled down to her nose. So cute.

I feel like it's kind of silly, but we are all so mentally exhausted from all this growth hormone stuff. So I apologize that I'm just now updating you on how it's going. Let's start with last Friday:

On Friday morning I woke up at 4:30am. I was a mess. I was so nervous about Zoe's doctor appointment! I was in tears half the morning. So to all of you who sent me the wonderful thoughts, scriptures, and quotes.....THANK YOU! I really needed that and it really helped me. I have the most wonderful friends. Mike gave Zoe a blessing before we headed to the doctor and that made me feel almost completely better. I was still nervous about giving the injection.

When we got to the doctor we measured Zoe's height and weight. She weighs 21 pounds and is 32.8 inches tall. She has lost half a pound and grown one inch since October 16th. We need this growth hormone therapy!

The nurse had me and Mike try the shots on a foam pillow (it's supposed to simulate what it's like giving a shot in skin). I seriously practiced about 15 times. I used up one and a half pens trying (it's a good thing the nurse brought a bunch of practice pens!). Here is how the process works:

  • We do the shot every day, 6 days a week, until Zoe is finished growing (middle teenage years)

  • Every day we have to do the shot in a different location. We can choose from the two thighs, back of her arms, stomach, and butt cheeks. We aren't going to do her arms because they are so skinny there isn't enough fat on them.

  • Once I get the needle ready I have to pinch up some of Zoe's skin to get as much fat as possible. We only have to do this because she's so skinny.

  • Then I put the needle into her skin.

  • Then I push the inject button down to insert the medicine, it takes about two seconds for it all to go in.

  • Then we have to count to six to make sure it's all distributed.

  • Then I let go of Zoe's skin that I've been holding up.

  • Then I can finally pull the needle out.

  • It all takes about 12 seconds.

I finally decided it was time to just do it and get it over with. Mike was sitting in a chair with Zoe on his lap. The whole time leading up to this so had been pretty apprehensive. About what you expect kids to be like in a doctor's office. As soon as Mike pulled Zoe's pants down and Zoe looked over and saw me holding the needle walking towards her she really started to squirm. Then she realized that I was going to give her a shot instead of the nurse and she started yelling, "No, Mommy, No!". I kept my cool. I pinched her leg to get some fat for the needle then I remember holding the needle a couple of centimeters above the leg and the next thing I knew the needle was in and I was telling myself to push the medicine in, then to count 1-2-3-4-5-6, unpinch the leg then pull the needle out. It seemed like it took about 30 minutes to do all of that and Zoe was crying and saying "No, Mommy, No" the whole time and Mike was trying to distract her. Ugh. As soon as I pulled the needle out I wanted to burst into tears but I couldn't. I had to be strong for Zoe and pretend like this was all no big deal. It took Zoe maybe a minute to get over what had happened and then she was fine. Whew. She really did a great job and it could have been so much worse.

On Saturday I was pretty nervous about how this would all play out at home. Would Zoe put up a big fight? Would we have to resort to doing this in her sleep? Really, it was all pretty easy. Well, besides the 'give your daughter a shot/get a shot' part. When we were getting Zoe ready for bed we told her it was time for her princess medicine. She got really excited and ran over to sit on Mike's lap on the couch. What?! Part of the excitement came from the new wand she had gotten that day from her friends Madyson and Zayn. She thought it was so cool that she could hold that while I used the princess wand. Zoe started crying when I was getting the needle ready and cried during the shot but then was over it in about 5 seconds. Whew.

Sunday and Monday's shots got progressively worse. Zoe is fighting it more. She doesn't like it. I don't blame her. Yesterday morning when I was getting Zoe ready for the day she told me that she didn't want her princess medicine because it hurt. Oh, it broke my heart. I explained to her that we didn't need to do it right then, we'd wait for it to get dark outside then we would do the princess medicine. And I told her that I know it hurts and that I'm so proud of her for being so brave. I hope that helps a little.

We took our first night off last night. It was nice.

Today we're leaving for Houston so it'll be our first experience traveling with the medicine.

Speaking of traveling...check out our crazy schedule:

Get to Houston some time tonight. Oh, I forgot to mention it's snowing outside. Not just a little bit of snow...it's like Utah snow. So driving to Houston should be interesting.

Tomorrow will be a peaceful day visiting with family.

Saturday we are going to party hard-y because my brother, John, is getting married. Whoo-hoo!

Saturday night a few of us are heading to Austin...late at night...

Sunday morning Scott, Lisa, and I are running the Austin Marathon while we really should be sleeping. Crazy us!

4 comments:

  1. My sister used to have to give her son insulin shots and check his blood sugar several times a day starting at age 2. I just remember how she told him he would die if he didn't get his shot. She got angry at him when he would squirm or cry. I don't recommend that method. He eventually got used to it and stopped fussing. Did they have you and Mike try giving the shot to each other so you would know exactly what she is going through? It might help to know the level of pain she is experiencing. Then you can say, "It's just a little pinch," or, "I know it hurts but it only hurts for a little bit." I have a feeling Zoe will get good at counting how long the shot lasts.

    Eventually my nephew learned to give the shot to himself and that was a relief. I think that started when he was about 8 or 9.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs! Way to be strong Mommy. I'm sure this must be the hardest part. Congrats to John. Tell the family hello. And I hope you three (Scott, Lisa and you) have fun running together Sunday. Can't wait to read your race report.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man! I feel so bad you guys have to go through that. You're so awesome though, I'm sure you're doing it exactly right.

    Can she get rewards after the shot? Like stickers or something? Then, maybe after collecting 6 stickers she gets a bigger prize? I don't know if they say not to do that or anything, but I was just thinking about how I motivated Wes to go potty. (Which ISN'T the same at all, but can be kind of traumatic for kids and parents.) Eventually, he got used to it (which she may never) and we don't use any kind of reward anymore. I don't know, just trying to think of something to help it be positive for you guys!

    Good luck in your race on Sunday! I'm excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I'm so sorry you all have to go through this. It's probably hardest on you, Melanie. It really is tough doing something for someone that they need but don't want no matter what age. I'm sure Lynn will be calling me after your visit. Courage! Good luck on the marathon and please send congrats to John for me.

    ReplyDelete