Monday, October 21, 2013

36 Week Appointment

I had my 36 week appointment today.  Things are getting so exciting!  I can't believe we'll have a baby in less than a month!  CrAzY!

The appointment went well.  I had a test done for Group B Strep.  If it comes back positive then I will get antibiotics in my fluids at the hospital for the baby (I think...something like that).  I also had blood work done to check on my platelet levels.  If they are off then that means we'll have to deliver the baby early and I'll also need to be put under full anesthesia instead of just the local numbing anesthesia during the c-section.  I'll counting on both tests coming back normal.  Hopefully.

Pregnancy does some seriously strange things to the body.  My varicose veins are still out in full force.  They are getting darker and extending lower down my legs.  They don't bother me too much.  My legs are just really jumpy and it's hard to sit still.

Something new that started happening about three weeks ago is that my hands and feet keep going numb.  The hands are a lot worse than the feet and it actually starts at the elbow and extends to my finger tips.  Not only do they keep going numb but they hurt really bad too (the pain is the worst when I lay down and whenever I write).  I mentioned it to my doctor at my 34 week appointment and she said it sound like pregnancy induced carpal tunnel syndrome.  It has gotten a LOT worse since that last appointment so I mentioned it again today.  She suggested that I try buying a splint to wear at night to keep my wrists straight and this might help with the pain.  She said that all of this is happening because of pressure and swelling.

Speaking of swelling, I have sausage fingers and toes.  It was the worst yesterday at church.  During sacrament meeting my arms started to hurt really bad.  When I looked down at my hands they were swollen and purple.  Weird.  So whatever, I'm just dealing with these weird things until Mr. Cuteness decides to make his appearance.

Oh, and a quick update on the hernia.  I haven't been wearing my body bra brace thingy because it's SO uncomfortable.  And the swelling hasn't gotten worse so I'm not too worried about it.  I haven't brought it up with the doctor again because I'm thinking (hoping) it's a non-issue.  I'll stay in denial about that unless I need to worry about it in the future.  

We're having so much fun getting the baby's room ready and just getting life in general ready for the baby to come.  Zoe is so sweet.  She gives me back scratches, brushes my hair, and rubs my arms (for the swelling).  And she gives the baby loves every morning, all during the day, and every night before bed.  She is so excited to meet him!

My next appointment is next week.  I'm going in once a week now.  Whoo-hoo!  At the next appointment we'll do one last sonogram to check the baby's growth and also to take a look at the kidney that looked a little bit enlarged during the last sonogram.  And then after that we just wait.

36 weeks

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You mean only my stomach is big, right? Because I obviously haven't gained an ounce anywhere else on my body. Especially my bum. Har har!

      Delete
  2. Yay, I hope you get lots of good news at your next appt. You're SO cute!!! I can't wait to see the sausage links this weekend. :) Zoe is already such a good big sister. You're going to have a built-in helper! Does she know how to cook, yet?? :)

    See you in a few days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zoe totally knows how to make toast with butter. So we might be eating a lot of that once the baby gets here. :)

      Delete