Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Puddles, flowers, animals, and trains

Zoe and I peeled ourselves away from Mike for a few days and took a trip out to the country to visit my mom. Zoe had a BLAST. Actually, I had a blast too. My sister, Megan, happened to fly in from South Carolina for a weekend visit so we got to see her for half a day. Yay! It was fun, as always, to chat and catch up.

I'm pretty sure this is the most fun Zoe has ever had at my mom's house:

As soon as we got there, Zoe put on the new rubber boots that Grandma got for her and headed outside to splash around.




Video of Zoe splashing in the water.





Then we headed over to the chicken coup to feed the chickens and look for eggs. I think Zoe found about 5 eggs each day we were there.



Then Zoe and Grandma headed to the garden to plant some new flowers.




Zoe had a LOT of fun helping Grandma.




And then Grandma and Zoe planted some cantaloupe and eggplant that Zoe took home.




There is a train track that runs parallel to the edge of my mom's land so the next day we all headed out to look for trains. This is Zoe, Eddy, and Lucy the dog playing catch while we waited for the trains to come.




Fetch with Lucy





As soon as we heard a train coming Zoe ran and hid behind this tree!




Hiding from the train





She got brave though and finally came to watch the train. We ended up seeing two of them.





Cute!




The wind was kind of crazy that day. Grandma and Zoe sharing a coat.




Zoe playing with toys while Grandma was planting some flowers.

Disturbing story: After we got back from watching the trains that second day, I headed out for a run while my mom and Zoe worked in the gardens. I decided to head out to the pastures to see if I could get a little lost then find my way around all the ponds and trees, and not get chased by any cows. As I was running I saw a vulture quickly flying away at the sight of me. The area of whatever it was feeding on was in the direction that I was headed. I made a quick decision to keep going that way because seeing a dead squirrel or whatever small animal it was wouldn't be a big deal. As I came upon the area where the crow was I didn't see anything so I turned and looked over to my left and there was a DEAD COW laying half way down a ravine. I jumped, probably screamed, quickly ran away, and called my mom to let her know. Ewe! Thankfully the rest of my run was uneventful...slip-sliding through mud and jumping two gates was the fun part.

6 comments:

  1. How fun!! Cute pics an videos!

    Sorry about seeing the dead cow but look on the bright side: you got to run :(

    lol, yeah, poor me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cute! I love the picture of her squatting as she's watching the train go by.

    I miss helping Mom in the garden.

    Did you get to take any meat home with you? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's with saggy pants farmer Zoe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate finding dead cows on my dad's ranch. It represents so much loss in profit. And it makes me sick too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That dead cow might beat the weirdest thing I've ever seen on a run--a dead catfish. Certainly more scary.

    ReplyDelete